- The application deadline for SURF summer 2021 is now closed.
- If you are interested in applying for summer 2022 read here.
- The SURF Conference 2021 happened on August 19th & 20th.
- The full conference program can be found here.
Give to SURF
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships
The SURF Program is made up of five different fellowships
Each fellowship has particular eligibility requirements, and each fellowship has certain obligations that fellows agree to if they receive the award.
If you are interested in applying for summer 2022, we encourage you to do the following during 2021 fall semester and early 2022 spring term:
- attend an info session before applying. See “Resources” Tab for info sessions specifics or the OURS calendar.
- attend a workshop on how to write a research proposal. See OURS calendar for time and place.
- You are also encouraged to meet with the SURF advisors to discuss your project and application. Starting in January, sign up for Kayli Martinez (STEM- Life Sciences), Claire Hilburger (STEM-Math and Physical Sciences ), or our Humanities & Social Sciences advisor (TBA) via the advisor information under the “Resources” tab.
Benefits of these fellowships
In addition to receiving funding, summer fellows from all five programs will be assigned to a small peer group, which will meet regularly throughout the summer. In the peer group you will find a community of undergraduate researchers with similar interests and problems. Each group is led by a SURF Graduate Student Advisor – an experienced researcher to help guide your efforts. Primary guidance in research will come from individual faculty/graduate student mentors, but most students have found it very valuable to meet with other students who are grappling with related research issues. SURF fellows also have the opportunity to present their research via slides at the online SURF Conference in August 2021. Conference attendance is required for all fellows.
Each August, all SURF Fellows present their research at a two-day, interdisciplinary academic conference. SURF fellows are encouraged to invite family, friends, mentors, and colleagues to watch them present. Conference attire is business casual.
- The program for the SURF Conference 2021 on August 19th and 20th can be found at this link.
- The 2021 conference will be entirely remote.
Past conference programs can be found in this PDF
SURF is a program run by the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarships, located on Level “B” of Dwinelle Hall near Ishi Court. Specifically, the SURF Advisors’ offices are in 2422 Dwinelle Hall.