- attend one of our SURF info sessions
- closely read through this website so that you fully understand the eligibility requirements and the fellowship commitment for the specific SURF program you are applying to
- Beginning in January, make an appointment with the appropriate SURF advisor to discuss your application.
- discuss your plans with prospective faculty sponsors as soon as possible and determine who will sponsor your research and write your letter of recommendation. For this team fellowship, you can identify one or two math professors as research supervisors (they would likely split the mentor stipend). Only one of them needs to write the letter of support.
Instructions for Applying to SURF Math Team Fellowship:
- Download the “SURF Math Team Research Proposal Form” found below. As your team works on this proposal form you should discuss it in detail with your research mentor. Ultimately, this form will be saved as a PDF and uploaded as part of your application.
- The application deadline for SURF 2021 is February 18th. You will have to be logged into UC Berkeley Bmail (your campus email account) to see and use the application link. Use this link to submit your completed application including relevant information and uploading the required documents that we request: notably the proposal form.
- Make sure you have sent the recommendation form link to your research supervisor well in advance of the deadline, and make sure that they know in detail: your proposal and what program you are applying for. The recommendation deadline is the same as the program deadline.
- Make sure your team submits only one application.
Instructions for the Letter of Recommendation:
- Your faculty research sponsor must be a UC Berkeley Math Department faculty member (Professor or Lecturer) who will be appointed through Fall 2020. Your UC Berkeley based mentor must be the one submitting your recommendation and agreeing to oversee your team project.
- Send your faculty research supervisor the following link to the recommendation form and let them know it is due February 18, 2021: this form is available here.
- Your research sponsor’s letter should address: 1) Research Question and Design: Does the proposal ask an interesting question and is it well designed to answer that question? 2) Timeline: Can the project outlined be realistically completed in the timeline proposed? 3) Faculty Guidance: Is the faculty member willing to guide this team’s research? Faculty sponsors should be available for meetings during the summer. 4) Faculty knowledge of the team members’ ability to complete assignments responsibly, and sponsor’s confidence in team’s ability to work together and solve problems that will be encountered in this project.
- One letter of recommendation submitted by a UC Berkeley Math Department faculty member (Professor or Lecturer) who will be appointed through Fall 2020
- One research proposal, in pdf format
- Each team member’s UC Berkeley transcript, in pdf format. You may submit either official or unofficial transcripts.