Q: I don't know a faculty member with expertise in my project area. Can I get someone I know to "sign off"?

A: It's possible that a faculty member you know well may be able to give you good theoretical or methodological guidance, without being a subject specialist. But if the faculty member seems reluctant, you should probably look elsewhere. Come talk to a SURF Program Advisor and brainstorm about mentor possibilities. You really want someone who will help you produce the best possible research, not someone who will just sign a paper for you.

Q: I will be abroad this spring, but would like to return and do research this summer. Can I apply from abroad?

A: Yes, but it is a good idea to line up a faculty sponsor and start discussing your proposal with her/him before you leave Berkeley. The proposal is the most important part of your SURF application, and you will need to show that you have developed it in close consultation with a UCB faculty member. It can be hard to do this via e-mail, unless you already know the professor quite well.

If your abroad program keeps you out of the country during our orientation dates, we can make accommodations to give you the orientation information via Skype or other means, as long as you have eight or more full-time weeks during the summer to devote to research.

Q. I can't decide between many possible topics. How can I choose?

In general, when choosing between topics, the main questions you want to ask are: 
-Which one gives you better possibilities for guidance (which gives you more mentor options)? 
-Which are you more excited about?
-Which gives you data that is more readily available to you (you already have contacts you can use)? 
-Which one allows you to explore things you might want to do in the future?
-For which are you most qualified (you have skills and knowledge that give you a good foundation)?

If you have a general topic in mind but are unclear on how to narrow it, see hints on narrowing your topic here.

Q: How is my standing as a "graduating senior", "junior" or "sophomore" evaluated?

A: A junior should be a person in at least their fifth semester at UC Berkeley, or a transfer student in at least their second semester, but will graduate in Fall 2017 or later (students planning to graduate in three years, consult the Director of the Office of Undergraduate Research). Note that juniors applying for SURF L&S or SURF/Rose Hills for independent research must complete a written final product by May 2018, usually an honors thesis or other graded final product.

Sophomores applying for SURF/Rose Hills Experience should be in their 3rd or 4th semester at Berkeley at the time of application (or second or third semester at UCB if the first college semester s/he carried a full course load at UCB Extension).

For SURF/Rose Hills Independent for graduating seniors, "graduating senior" is someone graduating in May 2017. 

Q: For SURF L&S or SURF Rose Hills Independent for juniors, does my SURF project have to be my senior thesis project?

A: Your SURF L&S or SURF Rose Hills Independent for juniors project should result in a major research paper of your own design for a thesis course, or other senior seminar. (The options vary somewhat from one department to the next.) In every case the final paper should be evaluated for a letter grade. If no such course exists in your major (this is the case in some College of Chemistry and some College of Engineering majors), consult the Director of the Office of Undergraduate Research.

Q: For SURF Rose Hills Independent for graduating seniors, what must I turn in by the end of the year?

A.  SURF Rose Hills Independent fellows who are graduating seniors are presumed to be advancing work that will contribute to a publication.  By the May following your SURF Rose Hills summer (May 2018), you would turn in the publication, or a draft of the publication, to the SURF program. 

Q: Can I use SURF to support an internship or volunteer position?

A: Normally, no. This is a stipend for self-initiated research that is faculty-supervised. Most volunteer organizations have defined tasks for the volunteer that do not allow time for conducting independent research. Although a student occasionally proposes to study the organization he/she is volunteering with, it can be very difficult to design a sound self-study that is both ethical and objective.

Q: For SURF L&S and SURF Rose Hills Independent projects: a faculty member at another UC has offered me a lab position for the summer. Can that qualify for SURF?

It can qualify ONLY if your SURF independent project will be supervised by a Berkeley faculty member who will be around to see you through to the completion of your final write up. Usually this is a faculty member in your major department who is supervising your senior honors thesis.

Q: I need a summer session course to graduate on time. Can I still participate in SURF?

A: You may participate in SURF only if the summer session course you wish to take is a maximum of six weeks in length, leaving you eight weeks to work full-time on your project.  However, bear in mind that this will leave you no "down time" in your summer; generally students who forgo summer courses are able to get more out of their SURF experience.

Q: Does my faculty sponsor need to be here in the summer?

A: No, but he or she does need to agree to advise you over the summer. This can be successful by phone, email, or Skype if you develop a good working relationship in the spring semester.

Q: I'm an international student. May I apply?

A: For SURF L&S, regularly enrolled Berkeley students with international visas are welcome to apply, but there may some additional tax paperwork to complete before your stipend can be paid. SURF Rose Hills is limited to US citizens of the Southern California area.

Q: I'm an AB540 student. May I apply?

Yes, for SURF L&S, but it is easiest for us to process your award if you have applied for the Berkeley Undergraduate Dream Act Scholarship, which then creates a precedent for you to receive a stipend. SURF Rose Hills is limited to US citizens.